Monday, March 5, 2012

Flying Leap of Faith


Two of my grandsons and I are walking through a city somewhere. I don't recognize the city now as I relate the dream. We come across a high-rise where we see two teenagers climbing to the roof from the outside of the building. When they engage in inappropriate activities of which residents in the high-rise next door disapprove, the disapproving residents (children, by the way) race out of their apartments to climb the building too.


My grandsons want to climb to the roof as well. When we get there, all of the other kids are gone. Just as quickly as we arrive, though, the boys want to leave. However, the only way down is the same way we came up – on the outside of the building on steel ramps. 

My 7-year-old grandson climbs down without a problem, but when we get to a point where we still have about 80 stories left, my 4-year-old grandson decides to jump off.

Before panic sets in, as I see him fly off the building, I instinctively grab him by his wrist and pull him to safety, my heart thumping vigorously. He is frightened. I am more frightened, and surprised by my ability to grab him so perfectly, but we make it safely down to the ground. I am shaking the entire way.

Their mother and father are working together at a shop that is connected to their home, but they are working behind a counter in a room that seems to double as a kitchen and a bathroom. I can't tell what kind of business it is. When I relate to them what has happened, my son asks me why I allowed his son to fly off the building. I explain that I didn't "allow" him to do anything. He just did it.

In real life NONE of these situations would ever happen, from me climbing a building that is a hundred stories high (from the outside), to stepping one story at a time down to the ground (again, from the outside of a building), to visiting a shop that my son and his wife owned together, since they no longer are together, nor will they ever be, to being blamed for doing something that was so absurdly stupid, I would never have done it in the first place.

Over the years I've had numerous dreams in which everything in the dream makes no sense. If even one aspect of the dream seems likely to occur, I look at the rest of the dream for validation that what I thought might occur, probably won't. 

Unless we suffer some sort of cataclysmic event while I am alone with these two grandsons in a high-rise somewhere and the only way out of the building is by walking down steel ramps on the outside of it, I don't expect this dream to come true. 

Over the course of my lifetime, I have learned upon awakening that if one event in the dream appears to make no sense, every other thing in the dream will also make no sense. 

However, in the unlikely event that the world comes to an end on a day when I happen to be in a high-rise with my son's sons, I will be tightly grasping my grandson's hand.

The only takeaway that brings a smile to my face, and that might actually make sense to me when I interpret this dream, taking the nonsense away, is being surprised by my own abilities. That's something I can hold onto.


The only takeaway that brings a smile to my face, and that might actually make sense to me when I interpret this dream, taking the nonsense away, is being surprised by my own abilities. That's something I can hold onto.

Have a weird dream you'd like to relate? Mail it to weirddreams@mail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting concepts about the dream world and waking world. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete