Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Inflicting Pain on Self

Here is the newest weird dream: It appears between the asterisks.

***

The weirdest part about this dream was that I was an elephant. But I was an elephant with only two legs and I don't remember having a trunk. Also I was sitting at a table, crying in frustration because of something I had done that was incredibly stupid. But I can't remember what I did.

Now I'm not the elephant. I'm watching the elephant take both of its paws and slam them into the floor. The elephant is really mad at himself and he keeps slamming them, and slamming them, and slamming them until they are bruised and bloody, and pieces of flesh are hanging from the paws.

All I can think is how sad I feel for the elephant and how sorry I am for him, because I know what it's like to feel that frustration. I hurt myself too when I'm mad at myself for things I can't control.

***

I feel sadness after reading this dream. In dreams we often substitute animals or other people for ourselves. This dreamer obviously already instinctively knew the elephant was himself, because by admitting in the last paragraph that the dreamer hurts himself when he's frustrated, he is also admitting he is the elephant in the dream.

What I found interesting about this dream was how the dreamer removed himself from being the elephant to watching the elephant when the elephant started inflicting pain on himself. It reminded me of abuse victims who hover above their bodies while being abused – kind of like having an out-of-body experience.

Maybe this dreamer has a hard time dealing with pain and often separates himself from situations in his own life. He might have difficulty dealing with his problems directly, and instead, deals with frustration by hurting himself.


Also, I can't help but wonder if the reference to not having a trunk is somewhat sexual in nature, but it's just a guess and I don't know what that means.


Not knowing the dreamer's feelings about elephants, I would have to surmise that he has some affection for the animals and maybe some compassion for them too. In saying that I think he also has some affection and compassion for himself. Hopefully the dreamer will learn new coping skills when he again feels frustrated over things he can't control.

Another thing that comes to mind is that, "Elephants never forget." Maybe the dream is trying to tell the dreamer to remember something important. However, the cruelty in which the pain is delivered BY the dreamer TO the dreamer is definitely overkill and unnecessary.


Disclaimer: I am not a dream analyst. I am merely offering my unprofessional opinions.

I invite you to read other dreams by clicking HERE And if you have any weird dreams, please send your weird dreams to weirddreams@mail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment